I think this is an unhelpful and dismissive position to take. Organisations who receive large numbers of SARs are juggling a huge number of different issues, and the deadline can be incredibly useful to concentrate the minds of those from whom you’re trying to extract data. Moreover, the deadline is one of the few matters of legal certainty in subject access, and I think those working on them can be forgiven for wanting to know how to calculate it, especially of they have KPIs or other measurements that they have to make.

Of equal importance is the ICO’s mishandling of the matter, silently making the change to their interpretation of the statutory deadline at a time when they are monitoring councils for their compliance with that deadline. I do not believe that they would have put something on their website until a fuss was made about it here and on social media. Several people have subsequently pointed out the lack of proper version control on the ICO’s guidance, an important matter that might not have been raised without this debate.

On a side issue, the NHS’s masochistic decision to adopt a 20 day deadline is stupid and I think it should be ignored.

Tim Turner
Director
www.2040training.co.uk