I understand the line of thinking used by the ICO person you spoke to, but struggle to see how that works in practice. The example you describe (behaviour management) seems to relate to a compatible secondary purpose, which then doesn’t require an additional Art 6 condition. If it was to be considered a Public Task, you would then have to define the relevant bit of legislation or common law for it…

Donald

From: Tony Sheppard <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 05 August 2019 14:30
To: Donald Henderson - CHX <[log in to unmask]>; [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: Public Interest Task

We get this question as well.

When we discussed it with one of the senior policy bods at ICO the stress was on the use of Public Task as a term for the overall lawful basis, but getting schools to understand where their official authority stands (i.e. they have power to complete certain tasks but the application of that was in their control, e.g. behaviour management) or where the activities where part of tasks that had a wider role (e.g. delivery of a curriculum).

Establishing a need for data sharing is the most important part, and then seeing if there is an expectation to do it.

Not sure it completely answers your question, but might help with framing the question.

Tony Sheppard CIPP/E

--

Head of Services

GDPR in Schools