From: A forum for critical and radical geographers [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Allen J. Scott
Sent: Tuesday, 6 August 2019 10:24 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: MDPI journals turning predatory?

The whole concept of predatory or fake publishing is completely bogus. Ditto for the notion of “legitimate publishing.” These terms have meaning only for those scholars who have uncritically internalized the professional norms of twenty-first century academia, i.e. what counts in terms of scholarly achievement is publication in “selective” outlets irrespective of actual substantive content. (As every journal reader knows, any consistently positive correlation between selectivity and quality is hard to discern). This insistence on "reputability" intensifies the debasement of academic judgment by substituting the purely contingent for the essential. It also, by the way, endows commercial, corporate, profit-oriented publishing with an aura that it emphatically does not deserve. The way of the future for serious scholars with a genuine interest in intellectual work lies in open-access publishing, and screw all the mystification about “prestige” publishing houses. And if you want your paper to be peer-reviewed, send it to your peers.

Allen J. Scott,
UCLA.