The list has gone very quiet with only David B & Luke & Peter Riley keeping it alive. Others simply promote books or readings they’re involved in or running which of course is fair enough.
Many now are a fair age or busy and it is the silly season in media terminology which may be a factor?
In my own view social media has died a natural death or is close to becoming irrelevant. Novelty was a huge draw to internet users back in the honeymoon years.
By nature writers can be anti social staying within tight circles or cocoons rather than engaging readers. The general public don’t mind what JH Prynne is doing but pay close attention to Love Island or Britain’s Got Talent.
Few newcomers have emerged on the list while I am unsure if lurkers still exist? In other cultures the arts get more attention and appreciation than in Britain or Ireland.
Nobody seems to mind Brexit or the ongoing wars “faraway” or refugees dying in the Mediterranean. Yes JH Prynne has addressed it but his absurd distribution systems make getting his recent books a chore. That is not good enough in 2019 in my view and should not be accepted.
Some of us may not live to see these publications collated in a new Bloodaxe edition of “Poems” by Prynne. But in fairness Prynne is not alone in being hard to find in print but I am using him as a leading light. Let’s opt for Glasnost!
Wishing you well
Sean

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail