From: Kenneth Yakubu
Sent: Monday, 15 July 2019 11:20 AM
To: 'Realist and Meta-narrative Evidence Synthesis: Evolving Standards' <[log in to unmask]>; 'Geoff Wong' <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RE: information regarding the use of RE

Hi again,

Concerning justifying the selection of studies for a RS based on the rigor, Wong et al in the article “RAMESES publication standards: realist syntheses” (BMC Medicine 2013, 11:21 http://www.biomedcentral.com/1741-7015/11/21) advocated for the use of “….quality standards appropriate to particular kinds of research to appraise documents or sections of documents; discussion and/or debate within a review team of a document’s findings; or consulting experts about technical aspects of methods or findings”.

I would be grateful to get some guidance on making the judgement call on studies/documents that are focused on policy interventions (many of which might best be described as “natural experiments” or observation studies) in which the authors provide rich information that might influence the interpretation of the theory concerning mechanisms and outcomes, yet the methods employed before arriving at their recommendations may not conform to what is supported by the highest hierarchy of evidence. Do I include such studies with a note that the methods have a high risk of bias? Or should the focus be on the relevance of the theory suggested?

Thanks,

Yakubu