Hi Natasha,

Great timing, just yesterday I submitted my own MPhil research into these
barriers!
My focus is the types of writing children come to associate with science at
primary level, the reasons for this (practical/structural constraints faced
by teachers) and potential effects on science identity formation.
In short – is the writing side of science (still v traditional) challenging
gains made by more contemporary STEM initiatives?

I hope to develop a couple of papers from the thesis so I'll keep you
posted. (Also hoping to find funding to continue my research if anyone out
there would like to fund a PhD!)
In the meantime here are some papers I found particularly useful for
background on barriers:

Archer et al. (2015). “Science capital”: A conceptual, methodological, and
empirical argument for extending Bourdieusian notions of capital beyond the
arts. *Journal of Research in Science Teaching*, *52*(7), 922–948.

Archer, et al. (2018) Using Bourdieu in practice? Urban secondary teachers’
and students’ experiences of a Bourdieusian-inspired pedagogical
approach. *British
Journal of Sociology of Education*, *39*(3), 283–298.

Archer, et al. (2013). *ASPIRES**. Young people’s science and career
aspirations age 10–14. Final Report.* London: King's College London.

Colucci-Gray, et al. (2017). *Reviewing the potential and challenges of
developing STEAM education through creative pedagogies for 21st century
learning.* British Educational Research Association (BERA). Retrieved from
https://www.bera.ac.uk/project/bera-research-commissions/reviewing-the-potential-and-challenges-of-developing-steam-education-2

DeWitt, et al. (2016). Dimensions of science capital: exploring its
potential for understanding students’ science participation. *International
Journal of Science Education*, *38*(16), 2431–2449.

Godec, et al. (2017). *The Science* *Capital Teaching Approach: engaging
students with science, promoting social justice*. London: University
College London.

Gresnigt, et al. (2014). Promoting science and technology in primary
education: a review of integrated curricula. *Studies in Science Education*,
*50*(1), 47–84.

House of Commons. (2018). *Delivering STEM skills for the economy.
Forty-seventh report of session 2017–19*. Retrieved from
https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201719/cmselect/cmpubacc/691/69102.htm

Mendick & Danielsson. (2017). A Critique of the Stem Pipeline: Young
People’s Identities in Sweden and Science Education Policy. *British
Journal of Educational Studies*, *65*(4), 481–497.

Mostafa. (2019). Why don’t more girls choose to pursue a science career? *PISA
in Focus*, *93*. Paris: OECD Publishing.

National Audit Office. (2018). *Delivering STEM (Science, technology,
engineering and mathematics) skills for the economy.* London: Her Majesty’s
Stationary Office (HMSO).

Osborne & Dillon. (2008). *Science Education in Europe: Critical
Reflections*. London: The Nuffield Foundation.

Primary Science Teaching Trust, 2019, *A new project for PSTT - Primary
science capital: a whole school teaching approach. Retrieved from
https://pstt.org.uk/what-we-do/news/new-project-pstt-primary-science-capital-whole-school-teaching-approach
<https://pstt.org.uk/what-we-do/news/new-project-pstt-primary-science-capital-whole-school-teaching-approach>
*

Wellcome Trust. (2017). *‘State of the nation’ report of UK primary science
education*. London: Wellcome Trust.

*Isabel Thomas07766 104497*

*www.isabelthomas.co.uk <http://www.isabelthomas.co.uk>*

On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 at 09:32, Natasha Simons <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Hi lovely knowledgeable people,
>
> I'd like to read a bit more about the kinds of barriers teachers
> experience to delivering STEM education and hands-on investigations
> (confidence, time, resources etc.) for primary or secondary teachers.
>
> Does anyone have any studies or survey reading recommendations?
>
> Many thanks!
>
> Natasha (hopefully awaiting deluge of information)

> to [log in to unmask] with one of the following messages (ignoring
> text in brackets) • signoff psci-com (to leave the list) • set psci-com
> nomail (to stop receiving messages while on holiday) • set psci-com mail
> (to resume getting messages) Contact list owner at
> [log in to unmask] Small print and JISCMail acceptable use
> policy https://sites.google.com/site/pscicomjiscmail/the-small-print
> Contact Jisc Helpline: Email: [log in to unmask], Telephone: 0300 300 2212

psci-com how-to:
Once subscribed, send emails for the list to [log in to unmask] If not subscribed, either subscribe here https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=psci-com or send requests for items to be posted on your behalf to [log in to unmask]