I agree with Gordon Plumb.  "Stolas" does refer to the stole given to deacons.  I would also suggest that "Et postea manus unguantur de oleo et crismate" means "And then the hands are anointed with oil and chrism,"  I would have to see the abbreviation "Reqs." but in Cappelli's Dictionary of Abbreviations, this should mean "requirit" or "requiritur" as Marjorie Burghart suggests. It depends if there is a "t" or squiggly line above the "Req." The "retro" might mean "repeat," so it would means that the prayer is required to be said again.  This is a guess though without seeing a picture.

I am not sure if this is helpful but it would seen to fit with other ordination rites.

Gary Macy

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 12:35 AM Gordon Plumb <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I think this might refer to the stole [ a strip of coloured and often enbroidered cloth] which, in the case of deacons, is worn from the left shoulder across to the right hip - ie diagonally across the body. Deacons are still vested with the stole in this fashion after being ordained.

Gordon Plumb

-----Original Message-----
From: Schipper, William <[log in to unmask]>
To: MEDIEVAL-RELIGION <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wed, Jul 10, 2019 11:07 pm
Subject: [M-R] Help with a MS abbreviation

Hi all,

I need some help with the following. I am trying to decipher a marginal annotation to a liturgical book (a pontifical). In a section for the ordination of deacons, someone added the following instruction in the margin, next to one of the benedictions:

            Hic episcopus stolas ponat super diaconos dicendo. In nomine sancte trinitatis. ??Reqs?? retro. Et postea manus unguantur de oleo et crismate.

It’s the bit between double question marks that I can’t seem to interpret or expand. The instructions appear to say: “Here the bishop places the robes on the deacons, saying: “In the name of the holy trinity.” ??He then ??????? to the back?? And afterwards they (diaconos) are anointed with oil and chrisma (myrrh).” But what is he expected to do towards the back, or in the back, or whatever?

Any help would be appreciated.

Bill Schipper

Please note that I am no longer Director of the Graduate Program in Pastoral Ministries.  All correspondence for the GPPM should be directed to Joseph Morris ([log in to unmask]) or Lynne Luckenbill ([log in to unmask]).

I am also not taking on letters of recommendation, book reviews or blurbs for books as I am now in phased retirement.  Thank you for understanding.

Gary Macy
"Veritas non erubescit nisi abscondi" – Leo XIII