With apologies for cross-posting

Dear all

I am an academic at Robert Gordon University in Aberdeen, Scotland, researching information and digital literacy.

In the past few months, I have been working on a cartoon video series for school children (9-12 years old) to illustrate the dangers of online bullying and teach through animation online information evaluation.

'Maddie is Online' #maddiesonline  is a free educational resource which narrates the everyday life story of Maddie, a fictitious 10-year-old girl, who goes through some troubles while connected online.

The videos are available via the following links:

Series 2: Misinformation: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlUx8jQ1MCcQTOHIGwzFHWFi8fF67oUtf (11 episodes)

Series 1: Online Resilience: https://youtu.be/nK_wHBlzyLA?list=PLlUx8jQ1MCcSdsaCHy05u1WCpht6Ky95Q (8 episodes) (You can use the attached activity together with the videos).

I am looking to partner with schools and libraries to pilot the cartoon videos. Please get in touch with me if you are interested to test them out in your school with a brief evaluation questionnaire that can be done online.

I started the series because I wanted to explore issues surrounding young children's development of digital literacy as the online citizens of tomorrow. Young people are growing up online with a range of new social technologies but still need to master the guiding principles of online society and develop resilience in the online environment.  Teachers, librarians and parents can play an important role in supporting families and their children within the everyday life context to become digital citizens: informed, active, ethical, safe and responsible members of the online society. However, I felt that there was a need to create more engaging and creative learning resources for children.

Using cartoon storylines has been highlighted in previous research as an authentic pedagogical tool that can be used for diverse educational purposes, and as a method for attracting the attention of young people, stimulating critical thinking and discussion.  As part of the series I have used real voice actors to create a more realistic and believable story.

I hope that you enjoy my stories and I look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes

Dina

Dr Konstantina (Dina) Martzoukou (SFHEA, Ph.D, MSc, MA)
Teaching Excellence Fellow / Course Leader (MSc Information & Library Studies/ MSc Information Management)
School of Creative and Cultural Business
The Robert Gordon University
Garthdee Road
Aberdeen
AB10 7QE
Tel. +44(0)1224 263838 E: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
http://www.rgu.ac.uk/dmstaff/martzoukou-konstantina/

[cid:image007.jpg@01D2EB55.2B06F730]

The Robert Gordon University, a Scottish charity registered under charity number SCO 13781

98.5% postgraduate employment rate*
*HESA Destination of UK Leavers' Survey 2013/14
[Logomindsetslast]
Join our free online community of interest: 'Information Digital and Media Literacy Mindsets': https://mailchi.mp/bf15273eba8b/mindsets

Robert Gordon University has been awarded a TEF Gold award for the quality of its undergraduate teaching and learning, placing it in the top 20% of Universities in the UK

Robert Gordon University, a Scottish charity registered under charity number SC 013781.

This e-mail and any attachment is for authorised use by the intended recipient(s) only. It may contain proprietary material, confidential information and/or be subject to legal privilege. It should not be copied, disclosed to, retained or used by, any other party. If you are not an intended recipient then please promptly delete this e-mail and any attachment and all copies and inform the sender. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Robert Gordon University. Thank you.