Could someone at CLA perhaps confirm if we are allowed to preview scans uploaded by other institutions (or sourced through EHESS), process them using Finereader or Adobe Pro to enhance their accessibility, then re-upload them to the DCS?

Thanks,
Ben

On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 at 16:03, Alison Davidson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi Ben,

Thank you, that’s useful to know. We have a single copy of Finereader on a computer somewhere, not convenient for regular scans but certainly work knowing for when we make whole books for print-impaired students.

Regards,

Alison

Sent: 17 July 2019 14:33
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: DCS content accessibility

Hi Alison,

Yes, Finereader can add bookmarks where it detects chapter headings, although this depends on how the headings are formatted.

For example if the chapter headings and chapter author names are formatted in the same size/style text, but appear on separate lines, then it will identify them as two separate bookmarks. Staff therefore need to check each PDF and remove bookmarks added at unnecessary points.

Of course, this is more of an issue if you're digitising a whole book for a print-impaired student. If you're just digitising a single chapter or 10% under the CLA Licence then the bookmarks probably aren't needed.

Thanks,

Ben