Morning all,

You may have seen yesterday in the In Touch update about the new features released into the DCS.

There is now improved visibility of other institutions' completed scans in the DCS repository, increasing the chances of matching existing content with new requests, thus cutting down on duplication of labour.

Thanks very much to those who shared their DCS data with me and got the discussion going off-list, to build a prototype database to cross reference new requests with existing scans. Those were Sharon Cocker at Sheffield, Linda Pover at Manchester, Louise Koch at Manchester Met, Kate Vasili at Middlesex, Ben Catt at York, David Steedman at Roehampton, Linda Cameron at Stirling, Katharine Davidson-Brown at Durham, and Scott Pryor at Cardiff. I guess I'll be putting the database out to pasture now but it was good to get my hands dirty again with some SQL.

Thanks also to David at the CLA for organising the development / feedback sessions in London and Sheffield, and to Meghan and James for appreciating the arguments and being willing to consider a shift in the position of what is considered acceptable / reasonable under the terms of the HE license.

It is particularly impressive that between only February (when I posted up the call to other institutions with large scan repositories) and now, the CLA have listened to their customers, organised consultations, and made the changes to the product with their developers in less than six months, just in time for the start of the 2019/20 academic session when the benefits of it will be most felt. I doff my hat to you.

Kevin

Kevin O’Donovan
Library Acquisitions Manager
Content and Discovery Group