Hi,

Apologies for cross-posting, but following the current discussion about copyright fee paid copies on this group I wanted to ask the following:

After hearing Matthew Lambert from the British Library speak at this year’s interlend conference, I have been thinking about the way we use our Copyright Fee Paid articles for our reading lists. Currently, if we receive digitisation requests for multiple articles from the same issue of the same journal we would only upload one of these, as per our CLA licence. We go by this rule whether we are making scans from a print copy of a journal, or whether we are purchasing Copyright Fee Paid articles from the British Library, the National Library of Scotland, or RightFind. It has occurred to me, however, that if we are purchasing a digital copy of a Copyright Fee Paid article, we are not making additional digital copies by uploading them to our reading list platform, but are merely hosting them there. In that respect, we are not making digital copies under the terms of the CLA licence as we would be if scanning from a print journal, for example.

Additionally, if we were to add the Copyright Fee Paid articles to our catalogue, we would bookmark to these articles using our reading list platform just as we do to e-books or online journal subscriptions. This would then simply be a different method of hosting them in our reading lists.

Am I therefore right to conclude that if we purchase more than one Copyright Fee Paid article from the same issue of the same journal, we would be able to host more than one of these in our reading list platform?

I hope that makes sense, but please do let me know if further clarification is needed.

I also wondered how many people are adding CFP articles to their collections, and whether cataloguing proves a problem?

Apologies for the long post!

Best wishes,

Hannah

Hannah Pyman AFHEA
Interlending and Document Delivery Assistant
Library Services
University of Essex

T  01206 873102
E  [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
► library.essex.ac.uk<https://library.essex.ac.uk/home>

WE ARE ESSEX
[cid:image004.png@01D48C80.55F63B90]
[cid:09317085-60AC-425E-B2B7-E09DAB14FF9B]<https://www.facebook.com/uniessexlibrary> [cid:2D9E9C70-8DF0-4E0D-A2D6-636E16F0AFA3] <https://twitter.com/uniessexlibrary>  [https://instagram-brand.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/app-icon2.png] <http://www.instagram.com/uniessexlibrary>