These two points  just occurred to me overnight:

Now it’s in print in this weeks’ issue..

World’s top personality test doesn’t really work – should we ditch it?

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2209360-worlds-top-personality-test-doe
snt-really-work-should-we-ditch-it/ [open-access]

Implications:

1.	What does this say about the credibility of genetic research which
attempts to associate ‘genes’ with scores on Big Five self-report tests? If
the Big Five scores from such assessments are not accurate/relevant in some
groups of people, then how can we simultaneously be seeking evidence of
genetic causation for these scores?
2.	What does this say about the credibility of neuroscience/imaging
which attempts to associate cerebral regions of interest with scores on Big
Five self-report tests? Are we really only looking at patterns of activity
in those who happen to possess certain kinds of scores? And what does that
then say about the meaningfulness of any claims that certain activity in
areas of the brain is indicative of one’s standing on a ‘latent variable’ of
the Big Five?

Remember what Read et al said years ago – which was quietly ignored by many:

Read, S.J., Monroe, B.M., Brownstein, A.L., Yang, Y., Chopra, G., & Miller,
L.C. (2010). A neural network model of the structure and dynamics of human
personality. Psychological Review, 117, 1, 61-92.

p. 87

"Relation of the current model to the structure of individual personality
and the Big Five.

This model is intended as a potential model of the structure of human
personality. But by that we do not mean that any specific instantiation of
the model will provide a replication of personality structure, such as the
Big Five. Instead, we view any specific set of parameters and learning
experiences as representing a particular individual or type of individual.
The Big Five is a representation of the structure of human personality
across a group of people. This structure is not seen for a single person but
is rather the result of the covariation among characteristics within a large
sample of people. Therefore, if we created a large number of virtual
individuals, each with a different random set of parameters, we would expect
the resulting patterns of behavior across individuals to give us something
like the Big Five."

As I asked back in 2010 on idanet:

[Question]:  if we administer someone a “Big Five” questionnaire, but the
structure is not to be seen for (within) a single person, then what is a
“test-score” a score of exactly? This also begs the ancillary question
asking what exactly is “true” about a “true score”.

Remember also:

Gurven, M., von Rueden, C., Massenkoff, M., Kaplan, H., & Vie, M.L. (2013).
How universal Is the Big Five? Testing the Five-Factor Model of personality
variation among forager-farmers in the Bolivian Amazon. Journal of
Personality and Social Psychology, 104, 2, 354-370.

Abstract

The five-factor model (FFM) of personality variation has been replicated
across a range of human societies, suggesting the FFM is a human universal.
However, most studies of the FFM have been restricted to literate, urban
populations, which are uncharacteristic of the majority of human
evolutionary history. We present the first test of the FFM in a largely
illiterate, indigenous society. Tsimane forager– horticulturalist men and
women of Bolivia (n = 632) completed a translation of the 44-item Big Five
Inventory (Benet-Martínez & John, 1998), a widely used metric of the FFM. We
failed to find robust support for the FFM, based on tests of (a) internal
consistency of items expected to segregate into the Big Five factors, (b)
response stability of the Big Five, (c) external validity of the Big Five
with respect to observed behavior, (d) factor structure according to
exploratory and confirmatory factor analysis, and (e) similarity with a U.S.
target structure based on Procrustes rotation analysis. Replication of the
FFM was not improved in a separate sample of Tsimane adults (n = 430), who
evaluated their spouses on the Big Five Inventory. Removal of reverse-scored
items that may have elicited response biases produced factors suggestive of
Extraversion, Agreeableness, and Conscientiousness, but fit to the FFM
remained poor. Response styles may covary with exposure to education, but we
found no better fit to the FFM among Tsimane who speak Spanish or have
attended school. We argue that Tsimane personality variation displays 2
principal factors that may reflect socioecological characteristics common to
small-scale societies. We offer evolutionary perspectives on why the
structure of personality variation may not be invariant across human
societies.

Regards .. Paul

Chief Research Scientist

Cognadev Ltd.

______

W:  <https://www.pbarrett.net/> https://www.pbarrett.net/

E:  <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]

M: +64-(0)21-415625