Dear all,

On behalf of my co-conveners, I would like to bring your attention to an upcoming session at the 2019 AGU Annual Meeting in San Francisco, CA, from December 9-13 2019, titled “North Atlantic Neoproterozoic–Mesozoic tectonic linkages between the Appalachian, Caledonian, and circum-Arctic orogens (Session T039).” This session aims to attract contributions covering a broad spectrum of disciplines including, but not limited to, geochronology, paleontology, petrology, sedimentology, stratigraphy, and structural geology in order to highlight results of recent work in the North Atlantic and elucidate new relationships to adjacent regions.

Session abstract:

The Neoproterozoic–Mesozoic tectonic history of the North Atlantic region remains contentious. Topics of debate include the timing and history of Rodinia fragmentation, terrane transfer during the assembly of Baltica, Gondwana and Laurentia, closure of oceanic basins, and proposed kinematic links between various circum-Atlantic orogens (e.g., Appalachian, Caledonian, Ellesmerian, Timanian and Cordilleran). Moreover, the circum-Arctic is of special public and political interest, mostly due to controversies regarding the establishment of firm political boundaries under the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS). This process requires a firm understanding of major pre-Cenozoic tectonic boundaries in the North Atlantic region, as these structures clearly influence the recent evolution of the North Atlantic (see Session 82661). We aim to attract contributions covering a broad spectrum of disciplines including, but not limited to, geochronology, paleontology, petrology, sedimentology, stratigraphy, and structural geology. This interdisciplinary session will highlight results of recent work in the North Atlantic and elucidate new relationships to adjacent regions.

The abstract submission site is now open, and the deadline for all submissions is Wednesday, 31 July at 23:59 EDT.

Conveners: Justin Strauss (Dartmouth College); Jaroslaw Majka (Uppsala University); Chong Ma (Laurentian University); Karol Faehnrich (Dartmouth College)

Thanks for your interest and we look forward to seeing you in San Francisco.

Best,

Chong Ma

Research Associate, Metal Earth
Harquail School of Earth Sciences
Laurentian University, Sudbury, Canada
Email: [log in to unmask]

To unsubscribe from the GEO-TECTONICS list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=GEO-TECTONICS&A=1