Yes, I like that suggestion. For me what you suggest is probably the
most comprehensive form of synoptic assessment that could be achieved.
It would also help to meet the QAA suggestion of work that is able to
bring together the multiple topics that have been learnt. I am a strong
advocate of synoptic assessment, but that is very rare. It would also
eliminate exams which are very poor as assessment against level
descriptors (but very good at assessing the performance of short-term
memory under stress!). Another advantage would be no need for any
enforced word count limit and only a guideline would help - based on a
survey I did in this forum a few years ago asking about word count
guidance for 20 credit modules assessed by a single piece of work, the
general figure that emerged was 5,000 words. So, for 120 credits, the
guidance would be around 30,000 words for the portfolio.

I wasn't sure if your suggestion was to scrap individual modules, or
individual module assessments - I assume individual assessments. I would
really enjoy reading such portfolios. Marking could be done by
collaborative teams (an idea being explored by AdvanceHE - HEA). If you
meant the subject modules themselves, students would probably need to be
supported by collaborative teaching and learning teams.