As a medical scientist, systematic reviewer, EBM lecturer (for engineers!) and occasional peer reviewer (for the usual terrible papers that get sent to relatively unknown researchers) I have a tendency to lay most of the blame on the editorial and review process. How some papers make it into press is beyond me. As an occasional paper author I know that even the most well-intentioned writer can end up missing or mis-representing some information. That's why we get colleagues to proof-read before submission, and that's one reason why we should have robust and thorough peer-review - to act as a check and to improve the paper for all readers.
I found a Plain English course (done at work) very beneficial, but I'm not sure I agree that every paper should be made easily accessible to every type of reader. I was told in a conference that the average reading age in the UK is 11. Given short word limits we would waste a lot of space explaining every technical term in longhand, when there is easy access to online explainers for the determined. Most of my projects are short ones in new-to-me areas of medicine and technology - steep learning curves are part of my (and my colleagues') jobs. Academic journals are essentially there for researchers to explain their research to their peers. One journal I have submitted to requires a lay abstract alongside the usual one. Maybe there is a role for this to become more widespread?
As a counter-argument to myself - have you ever tried to read a sociology paper? I'm a co-author on one and I barely understand what was said in it, and  I failed to make my way through the background material, despite trying several times. Not proud of it, just saying like.

Sue Peirce
Research Fellow/Cymrawd Ymchwil
C3.10, School of Engineering/Yr Ysgol Peirianneg
Cardiff University/Prifysgol Caerdydd, CF24 3A
@speirce
http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/people/view/364444-peirce-susan