Dear colleagues,

Thank you for sharing various resources with this group. I would also like to share my new book (with the flyer, preview and blurbs as attached):

Kong, MLF 2019, The hopes and experiences of bilingual teachers of English: investments, expectations and identity, Routledge, Oxfordshire.

(https://www.routledge.com/The-Hopes-and-Experiences-of-Bilingual-Teachers-of-English-Investments/Kong/p/book/9781138313859)

One finding which may be of interest to this group is the struggles that students (who were bilingual teachers/non-native English speakers in their home countries in Asia) have inside the classroom in an English-speaking country. One of their challenges is in academic writing, due to differences in writing styles in their home cultures. The book presents how the students deal with the challenges, and what higher institutions can do to support them.

Among others, I hope this book can contribute to the discussions surrounding

·         native/non-native debate in the context of identity construction

·         the ways in which international students engage with the pedagogical practices of higher institutions in English-speaking settings

·         what educators and universities can do to support international students

Thank you for your time.

All the best wishes,
Dr. Melinda Kong,
Senior Lecturer and Course Director of MA TESOL,
Swinburne University of Technology Sarawak

[NOTICE]
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended only for the use of the addressee. They may contain information that is privileged or protected by copyright. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution, printing, copying or use is strictly prohibited. The University does not warrant that this e-mail and any attachments are secure and there is also a risk that it may be corrupted in transmission. It is your responsibility to check any attachments for viruses or defects before opening them. If you have received this transmission in error, please contact us on +6082 255000 and delete it immediately from your system. We do not accept liability in connection with computer virus, data corruption, delay, interruption, unauthorised access or unauthorised amendment.