Dear Eric, dear all,

if you want to do local MSA, focused 2D or 3D classification and/or focused refinement, the region to be analysed should be significantly larger than the specific area of interest. This is needed to catch the associated conformational changes in the proximity of the area of interest. If your mask comprises only the drug/inhibitor etc. the classification or refinement will become unstable. Increasing the mask area by ~20/30/40 Å can help (depending on object size, size of region of interest etc.). It is also worth trying both multivariate statistical analysis and maximum likelihood approaches if one or the other doesn’t work. MSA seems more sensitive to smaller changes.

For some original concepts on local / focused 2D and 3D analysis and recent reviews & applications you may want to have a look at some of these papers:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14985767       concept of local MSA, usage of mask for focused classification

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18758445       3D structure sorting based on resampling & 3D classification

https://www.scirp.org/html/17-1240596_62411.htm  (and references therein)   local MSA with mask, resampling & 3D classification

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28850874       review on focused classification and refinement, including aspects on mask size

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27730650       review including aspects on structure sorting (3 approches to it: (i) template-based methods, (ii) classification based on statistical analysis using MSA and bootstrapping methods and (iii) ML-based sorting), see references therein

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29143818       an example where focused refinement was essential to help improving the map (there are many more in the field)

Best,

Bruno

Bruno P. Klaholz

Centre for Integrative Biology

Department of Integrated Structural Biology
Institute of Genetics and of Molecular and Cellular Biology
IGBMC

http://igbmc.fr/Klaholz

http://www.igbmc.fr/grandesstructures/cbi

http://frisbi.eu