Hi All,

Thanks for all the helpful comments and discussion surrounding my last
post. I've been doing a little more investigation into this issue and
wanted to see if people were able to provide me with some additional
opinions/insights.

I investigated the PDB entries for the lead deposition author of the
6MO0-1-2 series:  Lin, Y.-L. (
http://www.rcsb.org/pdb/results/results.do?tabtoshow=Current&qrid=50E454B).
With some slightly alarming results.

A number of additional entries appear to have ligands associated with
questionable density.:

6VB0,1,2,3,4 and 6BUY – Density does not support amino acids modelled and
there are questionable interactions with protein and solvent (Published
Scientific Reports 2017)

4NZ8, 4NAQ – Questionable density for peptide modelled, bad/unrealistic
interactions with protein (Published PNAS 2012)

4HOM – Questionable density for peptide modelled. Fo-Fc map density on
refinement seems more interconnected than would be indicated by water,
however density does not fit peptide modelled. Bad/unrealistic interactions
with protein observed, specifically Phe7 of peptide (chain B) (Published
PNAS 2012, same paper as 5NZ8 and 4NAQ)

4KXD et. al. – Questionable density for amino acids in both EDS maps and
re-refined with SF and model minus ligand. Poor R-factors obtained for 4KXD
on refinement (W 0.27,F 0.33) (Published JBC 2013)

These constitute many of entries associated with this author (some other
not mentioned appear are okay) and it makes it seem much less likely to me
that modelling of the structures from my previous post are a result of lack
of experience or poor supervision.

It is in my opinion a huge problem for the field and science in general, if
structures like this are making it into publications in well respected
journals.

Best Wishes,

Rhys

--