Oops George - you are correct..
I guess I never think of using either SIR or SAD phases without some
investigation into hand, and then only work with the better result.

The selection for SAD is rather straightforward - use SHELXE to do density
modification and if your sites are correct it is usually very clear which
gives the best result.

I dont think anyone now would just do SIR phasing without including the
anomalous contribution from the sub-structure as well, and with that extra
information you can choose the correct hand.

An anomalous difference map with phases from the correct hand shows the
anomalous scatterers as strong peaks.
Eleanor