Dear Kay

I disagree that 'magic bullet' is impossible. I think the definition is
wrong here - magic bullet to me is a rational set of methods that (when
executed with precision and care) enable crystallization to the maximum
possible benefit. This includes everything - constructs, crystallization
design, etc. Part of the magic bullet is also a precise knowledge when
crystallization is unlikely (i.e. an actual proven predictor that
consistently discriminates between "you're going to succeed if you work
hard" and "it's doomed to fail, don't bother" scenarios in crystallization.

The above is not sexy. It does not present itself as a lovely subject on
which to have international cocktail parties with politicians delivering
fancy speeches. But that is what is needed, and no one is funding that to
the best of my knowledge.

What needs to be done is a significant amount of testing, standardization,
and methods development from the perspective of holistic outcome (i.e.
crystals that work) - and none of the previously advertised 'magic bullets'
work the way I just described.

Having written this, I think you're right - this is a bit of a distraction
from James' original point. However it's a valid opportunity for a lively
discussion on its own :)

Artem

- Cosmic Cats approve of this message