Dear Zooarchers,

Does anyone know if there are any reliable differences between the hooves (keratine sheaths) of sheep and goats?

I am not acquainted with any work on the subject and ssuspect that any putative differences would be more a matter of intraspecific variability than anything else, YET sheep and goat feet are adapted to different types of substrate, and goats –but not sheep- are able to “climb”, thus was wondering if those differences translate into different morphologies (was recently questioned about the ID of caprine feet featured on a sculptured dish in a spandrel from Seville’s cathedral and before answering I haven’t the slightest idea I wanted to check this with you all).

THANKS!

Arturo

To unsubscribe from the ZOOARCH list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=ZOOARCH&A=1