And sorry for forgetting this in my previous email:
When a true RCT design is not possible there are good mathematical
approximations such as using synthetic control groups, but again depends
highly on the case. Most impact assessment  RCTs are longitudinal by nature
so that might be determining factor for your case.

Yours,

Ali