From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Benjamin Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 05 June 2019 15:47
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] 1) thanks for manuscript help, and 2) pre-modern women and university education (particularly re Elena Cornaro Piscopia)

"But surely the PhD in the modern sense did not exist in the seventeenth century, and therefore to distinguish Elena Cornaro Piscopia not as a dottoressa when her male contemporaries could be described as such without having completed a PhD as we would recognise it, is incorrect."

Dear Victoria,

   Thanks for your email. I don't think George was suggesting we refrain from recognizing Elena Cornaro Piscopia as a "dottoressa." I think he was merely pointing out, as you did, that the PhD in the modern sense did not exist in the seventeenth century, so describing Piscopia as the "first female PhD" is inaccurate. Likewise, describing her male contemporary colleagues as holding "PhDs" would be equally inaccurate.

pax,

Benjamin