From: Alec Ward
Sent: 14 May 2019 09:59
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: MCG's Museums+Tech 2019 - Call for Proposals

Dear MCGers,

The annual Museums Computer Group Conference 'Museums+Tech 2019' will be held on Friday 18 October 2019 at the British Library, London. This year's theme is: 'Openness'.

This will be a great opportunity to catch up on the latest developments and activities in the sector, as well as network with colleagues - so make sure to get the date in your diary and tell your colleagues!

The call for proposals for the conference is now open, and will close at 23:59 (London time) on Monday 10 June, 2019. We're keen to hear from practitioners, researchers, funders and those from related cultural heritage and technology sectors.

https://www.museumscomputergroup.org.uk/2019-proposals/

Our 2019 conference is asking whether museums and other cultural organisations can be more open in terms of their collections and processes, is openness always desirable, and what barriers might we have to overcome for truly open digital cultural heritage?

The MCG's Museums+Tech 2019 conference seeks proposals for presentations addressing these issues. It's time to celebrate good work, and share ideas for helping museums do better. We're open to suggestions, but topics might include:

  *   What does openness mean to you, in the context of museums and other cultural organisations?
  *   How are organisations opening up their collections to a wider audience?
  *   What technological and ethical considerations should be made?
  *   Have you been involved in a project to reuse open data from one or more cultural organisations in a creative or innovative way?
  *   How can organisations be open and transparent about their processes, both internally and externally?
  *   What role can openness play in decolonising collections and engaging with sometimes difficult and dubious organisational histories?
  *   Has openness within your organisation led to new projects or partnerships?
  *   What impact can openness have on visitor/user engagement?
  *   Can openness lead to greater inclusivity and diversity?
  *   When should organisations prioritise the use of open technologies or standards, and how can they support our work now and into the future?
  *   What are the potential barriers to openness and how might we address them?

We look forward to hearing everyone's great ideas. If you have any questions, please contact us through [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Best wishes,
Alec Ward (MCG Committee Member)

       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg