Colleagues,

AI-focused events have been coming thick and fast this year. The upcoming London Tech Week is just one of many, sponsored by IT giants such as Microsoft and IBM who seek buy-in to their own "artificially intelligent" products and gadgetry. But AI is not all gimmicks. There really are technological advances that can take the drudgery out of our workload... so long as we avoid the pitfalls of over-reliance on insufficiently or inappropriately trained "solutions".

The information profession fortunately has some insight into the processes underpinning AI, and a forward-looking attitude to the potential impacts, whether positive or negative, on our lives and work.  To follow latest thinking on AI, especially if your work involves KO processes such as classification, indexing, semantic web technologies, etc., the event to attend is:

The Human Position in an Artificial World: creativity, ethics and AI in knowledge organization’

ISKO UK 2019 Biennial Conference, London, 15-16 July

Speakers  include Michael Upshall, questioning the role of taxonomies in the light of available AI tools, and  Tony Russell-Rose exploring advanced search techniques that use AI-based approaches to search strategy formulation.  Will AI replace our current methods, or will it provide a complementary toolbox to enhance our effectiveness?

The two above are a sample of more than 30 presentations to be given at the conference, which starts on Monday 15th July with a keynote speech from Jem Rayfield of Ontotext about AI opportunities in the context of the Semantic Web. Neil Maiden of Cass Business School kicks off as keynote speaker on the second day, looking particularly at  AI and creativity. In the afternoon follows our panel discussion 'In an AI supported world, where do the opportunities lie for knowledge organization?'  There will also be  poster contributions in all the breaks. A Knowledge Cafe on the Monday afternoon will enable round-table discussion of selected case studies. See full programme on the conference website.

I hope you can be with us in July!

Stella Dextre Clarke
www.iskouk2019.org

#ISKOUK2019