Colleagues,

AI-focused events have been coming thick and fast this year. The
upcoming London Tech Week is just one of many, sponsored by IT giants
such as Microsoft and IBM who seek buy-in to their own "artificially
intelligent" products and gadgetry. But AI is not all gimmicks. There
really are technological advances that can take the drudgery out of our
workload... so long as we avoid the pitfalls of over-reliance on
insufficiently or inappropriately trained "solutions".

The information profession fortunately has some insight into the
processes underpinning AI, and a forward-looking attitude to the
potential impacts, whether positive or negative, on our lives and work.
To follow latest thinking on AI, especially if your work involves KO
processes such as classification, indexing, semantic web technologies,
etc., the event to attend is:

‘*The Human Position in an Artificial World: creativity, ethics and AI
in knowledge organization’*

*ISKO UK 2019 Biennial Conference, London, 15-16 July*

Speakers  include Michael Upshall, questioning the role of taxonomies in
the light of available AI tools, and  Tony Russell-Rose exploring
strategy formulation.  Will AI replace our current methods, or will it
provide a complementary toolbox to enhance our effectiveness?

The two above are a sample of more than 30 presentations to be given at
the conference, which starts on Monday 15th July with a keynote speech
from Jem Rayfield of Ontotext about AI opportunities in the context of
the Semantic Web. Neil Maiden of Cass Business School kicks off as
keynote speaker on the second day, looking particularly at  AI and
creativity. In the afternoon follows our panel discussion 'In an AI
supported world, where do the opportunities lie for knowledge
organization?'  There will also be  poster contributions in all the
breaks. A Knowledge Cafe on the Monday afternoon will enable round-table
discussion of selected case studies. See full programme on the
conference website <http://www.iskouk2019.org/Prd1.html>.

I hope you can be with us in July!

Stella Dextre Clarke
www.iskouk2019.org

#ISKOUK2019

Stella Dextre Clarke
Luke House, West Hendred, Wantage, OX12 8RR, UK
Tel: 01235-833-298