Consortium catalogue used to sell the scratch board paper/card in the arts and crafts section if that’s any help.
Sandy Thomas

________________________________
From: List for discussion of issues in museum education in the UK. <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Ken <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2019 9:52 pm
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Interactive Idea!

Adam,

I'm going to be really unhelpful and say that there are probably many
ways of doing this but they really depend on a few details which we
would need from you.

Is this to be an activity where users make their own design and then
take it home or are we looking at a fixed interactive that needs to
refresh? (Refreshing being one of the main challenges with anything like
this). Is it part of a workshop where the users could laminate up their
own material or do they go to work on a piece of pre-made material.

What are we looking at budget-wise? (and in the case where the users are
taking something home, do you have a consumable budget)

What sort of numbers of people will be using this? Is it a situation
where you could pre-laminate up bits of card (like home-made scratch
cards) or would that be too much work?

The fallback in situations like this is to go down the software route
but as I and many others will say, unless you're very careful, it could
well be a poor choice to show a traditional technique like this - I'm
not saying it's impossible but it can often be hugely underwhelming.

I'd be more than happy to help you with this in more detail, please feel
free to give me a call.

Thanks, Ken

Kenneth Boyd
Design Consultant
t: 07967 586974
e: [log in to unmask]
w: www.kennethboyd.com

On 12/06/2019 15:06, Adam Murray wrote:
> Hello GEM!
>
> Just thought i would pick your brains on a Wednesday afternoon. I'm currently trying to find a way of creating an interactive that replicates the act of sgrafitto (scrapping designs into the surface of a pot).
>
> Because its in the pottery display we cant use any clay or wet materials and we want it to be a tactile long lasting interactive. So far we have only come up with using rainbow paper or setting a kids doodle pad (that you swipe to clear the surface) into the display.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions how we can replicate the act of scrapping in a design?
>
> Thanks
>
> Adam Murray
> Learning and Access Officer
> The Museum of Barnstaple and North Devon
>
> + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
>
> GEM list: Contact the list owner for assistance at [log in to unmask]
>
> Anyone can join for free at any time by sending this message to [log in to unmask]:
>
> Join GEM Firstname Secondname
>
> Include only the text above, without email signature etc. The title of the email doesn’t matter. Send it to [log in to unmask]
>

> If you are going on holiday or have an out of office message for some other reason, you can send this message:
>
> Set GEM nomail
>
> When you get back:
>
> Set GEM mail
>
> You don’t 'miss' any messages by doing this as they are all available via main GEM list web page as above.
>

> Finally, if you need to change your email address, but stay subscribed to GEM, just send your new email address like this:
>
> CHANGE GEM [log in to unmask]
>
> + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

---
https://www.avg.com

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Anyone can join for free at any time by sending this message to [log in to unmask]:

Join GEM Firstname Secondname

Include only the text above, without email signature etc. The title of the email doesn’t matter. Send it to [log in to unmask]

If you are going on holiday or have an out of office message for some other reason, you can send this message:

Set GEM nomail

When you get back:

Set GEM mail

You don’t 'miss' any messages by doing this as they are all available via main GEM list web page as above.

Finally, if you need to change your email address, but stay subscribed to GEM, just send your new email address like this:

CHANGE GEM [log in to unmask]

[https://themuseumofsomerset.files.wordpress.com/2017/05/swht-green-e-sig.jpg]<http:www.swheritage.org.uk/>
South West Heritage Trust is supported by Somerset and Devon County Councils

South West Heritage is a charity and a company limited by guarantee registered in England. Registered office: Somerset Heritage Centre, Brunel Way, Norton Fitzwarren, Taunton, Somerset TA2 6SF. Company number: 09053532 Charity Number: 1158791 VAT Registration Number: 197221592

Disclaimer

This email communication along with any attachments is intended for the person(s) it is addressed to only. The communication is not legally binding, nor is it a contractual commitment on behalf of the South West Heritage Trust. We make every effort to keep our network free of malicious software and take no responsibility for any malware, virus or other damaging files transmitted via this communication.

South West Heritage Trust <http://www.swheritage.org.uk>