Dear all,

I somehow missed Anderson's reply on the 25th - sorry for not acknowledging your help and thank you very much for your email then! I think that model sounds overall quite sensible, but presumably (like I think Shane was getting at) I would be looking for the group variable to be significant in spite of the core RT/AD correlation likely also being significant? i.e. the RT/AD relationship should be considered the "nuisance" one and the patient v. control grouping as the one of primary interest?

Baixiong - It's difficult to say exactly about your data; there's a lot of different things that can happen and it's hard to judge over the internet by text alone! Your pre-processing steps seem reasonable to me as they've been typed (though I tend to use fslsplit to get the b0 from the 4D dataset, I'm less familiar with fslroi and am assuming it was implemented correctly for you). Your steps miss out the dtifit command to actually calculate all your DTI maps though, but I'm guessing this was done after the eddy_correct stage and before you averaged L2/L3 to get RD?

If you want to know for definite what the underlying FA values are in each of your groups, rather than relying on the idea of which TFCE stats map is showing significance, then you could threshold your TFCE stats maps at the 0.95 value, and then use those thresholded images as masks to extract the underlying FA mean / SD from each subject's FA map (the ones which have been transformed into the experiment's standard space). This would let you see the values which are contributing to the difference directly for each subject, and know 100% which group is higher.

What I would say (assuming that the preprocessing is correct) is that though decreases in FA is the expected change, raised FA values can also occur in cases of damage. This is a situation I've encountered a handful of times myself. Things like immune processes etc. are thought to contribute to FA increases (one paper I've leant on a bit in the past showed astrocyte invasion to sites of damage to lead to AD increases, and thus FA increases, because the way astrocytes line up along damaged nerve fibres is very unidirectional). You could think about if there's anything "unusual" about your patient population; like were the images captured during an MS attack whereas a lot of literature is perhaps studying chronic MS patients where (at the time of the scan) there may not be any immune processes going on? etc.

All the best,
Iain