Call for Papers and other forms of participation in the SqEK (Squatting Everywhere Kollective) conference to be held in Madrid: October 23-27, 2019.

In our 10th anniversary as an activist-research network (https://sqek.squat.net/ and https://radicalhousingjournal.org/2019/sqek/) we keep meeting once a year, at least, in a self-managed conference. This means, above all, that we try to keep it as low-cost as possible, and no registration fees are charged. If available, free or cheap accommodation will be also provided for those who request it. In addition, we will collect donations from participants with permanent jobs to sponsor those without sufficient resources to attend. Even if you don't attend, you can donate to support the contribution of precarious activist-scholars. We expect that all the participants will cooperate with the organisation and development of the encounter.

Regarding the contents, we will focus on Squatting for Housing on the first day, Squatting and Migration on the second, and Squatting and Gender on the third. Please, submit your proposals according to these topics, although other subjects might be accepted too in case there are not sufficient contributions for the main ones. If there is an available time slot, we will also discuss draft papers to be submitted for the special issue on Squatting and Urban Commons (to be published by PaCo, Partecipazione e Conflitto, journal).

As usual, we will start on Wednesday evening with a welcoming event. From Thursday to Saturday, we will have morning, afternoon and evening activities TBD. Sunday morning will be dedicated to evaluate the meeting and discuss about current projects, the future of SqEK, etc.

Every morning will be dedicated to present and discuss papers, activist experiences, posters, videos, etc. Every evening (6-9 pm on Thursday and Friday, 5-8 pm on Saturday) will consist of a presentation by local activists and a collective debate. In between, we will visit different squatted spaces across the city-metropolitan area.

In order to have a fruitful meeting for all the participants, we will ask local activists what kind of contribution they want from our side. For example: a press conference to support their struggle against an eviction threat, to record a video clip with a similar purpose, to help painting banners or designing posters, etc. We will also ask for permission to record the debates and collective interviews to be held during the meeting.

If you are interested in participating, please fill in the following form and submit it to [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask] and [log in to unmask] by July 15, 2019, the latest:

http://www.miguelangelmartinez.net/?2019-SqEK-meeting-Madrid-23-27-Oct

All the best,

Laura, Alberto and Miguel

--

Miguel A. Martínez | Professor of Housing and Urban Sociology
IBF (Institute for Housing and Urban Research), Uppsala University | P O Box 514, SE-751 20 Uppsala (Sweden)

Academic website and blog: www.miguelangelmartinez.net
Photography: http://somosuninstante.tumblr.com/ | http://www.somosuninstante.net/

Martínez, M. (2019) Good and Bad Squatters? Challenging Hegemonic Narratives and Advancing Anti-Capitalist Views of Squatting in Western European Cities. Culture Unbound 11(1): 165-189. http://www.cultureunbound.ep.liu.se/v11/a10/cu19v11a10.pdf
Martínez, M. (2019) Framing Urban Movements, Contesting Global Capitalism and Liberal Democracy. In Yip, N., M. Martínez & X. Sun (Eds.) Contested Cities and Urban Activism. Singapore: Palgrave Macmillan https://www.palgrave.com/gp/book/9789811317293
Martínez, M. (Ed.) (2018) The Urban Politics of Squatters' Movements. New York: Palgrave Macmillan http://www.springer.com/gp/book/9781349953134
Page Title

När du har kontakt med oss på Uppsala universitet med e-post så innebär det att vi behandlar dina personuppgifter. För att läsa mer om hur vi gör det kan du läsa här: http://www.uu.se/om-uu/dataskydd-personuppgifter/

E-mailing Uppsala University means that we will process your personal data. For more information on how this is performed, please read here: http://www.uu.se/en/about-uu/data-protection-policy

To unsubscribe from the CRIT-GEOG-FORUM list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=CRIT-GEOG-FORUM&A=1