They're convinced modernism has already completely failed, its "assumptions and teleology" concerning "nature Spirit and truth", and that post modernism makes for arbitrary judgments of taste. Maybe more of a philosophical question
Cheers for the replies,
Luke

On Mon, 17 Jun 2019 at 14:49, Mark Weiss <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
By the time I was conscious of poetry ee cummings was mostly a name. He wasn't taught in lit programs. I think that's still true. Yeats remains enormously popular, tho at this distance his politics look pretty awful. I'm not the only poet who's made the pilgrimage to Thoor Ballylee. Eliot's reputation isn't what it was. But these things ebb and flow. A better question might be which, if any, are central to one's own practice, which of course also changes as one changes.

The best way to deal with your argumentative friend is to change the topic to football.
-----Original Message-----
From: David Bircumshaw
Sent: Jun 17, 2019 7:28 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Critically acclaimed modernists who lost that

Not entirely I would say. I would say ee cummings has declined in the eyes of modernist critics while Conrad Aiken was held in esteem but is mainly forgotten now.

 There is a big issue about Yeats, who was taken as a great poet and companion and god-father to the modernists but is not so much loved now: I recently saw a blog which, following the intro to a volume of translations, ascribed his lines from The Second Coming "things fall part/ The centre cannot hold" to Ezra Pound (!) - changing the spelling of centre to center at the same time.

David