Hello Chris
As with a recent previous enquiry, it really depends on what type of cataloguing you plan to do.

Flickr has built in very basic cataloguing - not archive style - and of course it is built for photos.

Otherwise Excel (or Google Sheets) is usually a good starting point. You can export into most systems when you need something more complex.   One disadvantage of Excel is that it is ‘flat’ so you cannot create relational databases so easily.  That is just one reason why you might want to use a collections management system of some kind.    If you don’t need to, then it is best to keep it simple.

This might confuse more than help…
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/excel-vs-access-can-spreadsheet-replace-database/
… but it may help a penny or two drop about the difference between a spreadsheet and a database.

More involved, but more relevant is:
https://collectionstrust.org.uk/software/

I hope some of that is helpful.

Best wishes