From: William Grady
Sent: Thursday, May 2, 2019 10:47 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Comics recommendations

Hi there,

I’m currently working at MMU’s Library, and I’ve been asked to put together a small reading list of comics (8-10 books, although there is room for a few more) to coincide with the IGNCC conference taking place at MMU in June. The list is part of our Love To Read scheme, which tries to encourage our students to use stock in our Library to read for leisure, rather than just for study. Anyway, rather than going for one of those canonical best of lists (for want of a better way of describing it) with the usual suspects (Watchmen, Maus, Persepolis etc.), I thought it may be good idea to develop a list that showcases a selection of comics which do some interesting things with the form/storytelling that often get overlooked by those more canonical lists I mention.

I’m largely having to use current stock in the Library, but I have been told I have small budget, so can order a few books in if needs be, which is amazing. SO, I thought I would reach out to the list to see if any of you may have a suggestion or two. Is there anything you can think of that may be a good addition to such a list? As I say, I’m trying to highlight some of the more unusual uses of comics storytelling, which challenge the way we think about the form.

The list has kinda branched out into a few areas:

The "comics as" section.

-Comics as PhD (Nick Sousanis, Unflattening)
-Comics as course syllabus (Lynda Barry, Syllabus)

-Comics as exploration of comics form (Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics)

The interesting use of comics form (sorry these titles are so bad, I hope you get the jist though...)
-Chris Ware's Building Stories
-Richard McGuire's Here
-Silent comics likes Andrzej Klimowski's The Secret / Shaun Tan's The Arrival

Graphic reportage (effectively spotlighting some recent additions to our catalogue)
-Andrea Ferraris and Renato Chiocca's The Scar: graphic reportage from the US - Mexico border
-Olivier Kugler's Escaping war and waves: encounters with Syrian refugees
[The library stocks some Joe Sacco, etc., so I can certainly extend this section, but I wondered if anyone had read anything good recently (relating to graphic reportage)?]

As I say, I'm going off current stock largely at the moment, but I'm hoping to put some order requests in--if anyone has any suggestions that they thought would deepen any of my sections, it would be much appreciated!

Best wishes

Will