I like the genre idea and would resist the idea that it is old-fashioned.
Genres persist, even if critical fashions change. One further note, re. the
rota virgilium, is that you could address the question of georgic, which
I've always found interesting. Sure FQ is Spenser's epic, but the strong
admixture of georgic completes the wheel, in a nicely Protestant fashion.

Hannibal

On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 1:53 AM Susanne Woods <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Another approach is genre (unless you think it’s way too old fashioned):
> pastoral (SC and CCCHA), Petrarchan (Am and Epith and maybe four hymns),
> and then “allegorical epic romance,” with however much of FQ you want to
> do. I agree that 1,2,3, and 6 works—does epic then circles back to
> Petrarchan/romance and pastoral. These days all that may be too much, but
> it has the virtue of following Sp’s own avowed Virgilian pattern.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On May 29, 2019, at 6:39 PM, Elisabeth Chaghafi <
> [log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> I can't teach Spenser at my university, but if I could teach a course on
> FQ, I think I'd probably start with Andrew Zurcher's *Reading Guide*. It
> does a great job of introducing key ideas in very little space, using
> extracts from the poem, and it's genuinely a* guide* rather than a
> ready-made interpretation. And after that move on to the whole thing.
>
> On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 9:52 PM Judith Owens <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
>> Fellow Spenserians--for the first time ever, I am getting to teach an
>> entire course (undergraduate, one-term long) on THE FAERIE QUEENE. To my
>> abiding regret, i was not able to attend Spenser at K'zoo this year and so
>> missed the panel devoted to teaching the FQ. I would love to hear from any
>> or all of you about what has worked for you in your teaching!

Hannibal Hamlin
Professor of English
The Ohio State University
Author of *The Bible in Shakespeare*, now available through all good
bookshops, or direct from Oxford University Press at
http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780199677610.do
164 Annie & John Glenn Ave., 421 Denney Hall
Columbus, OH 43210-1340