I can't teach Spenser at my university, but if I could teach a course on FQ, I think I'd probably start with Andrew Zurcher's Reading Guide. It does a great job of introducing key ideas in very little space, using extracts from the poem, and it's genuinely a guide rather than a ready-made interpretation. And after that move on to the whole thing.