Dear Terry,

I'll try to answer you challenge.

"Like design and aesthetics, not only are they different entities, they do
not have a necessary and sufficient relations. Hence in research terms,
they are best considered different conceptual  entities."

Let me clarify my position. I agree that Aesthetics and Design are
different conceptual entities, and I am fairly certain that no one has
argued otherwise (I may be mistaken).

Aesthetics is concerned with the study of Beauty; design is concerned — in
part — with the conception of beautiful things. Regardless of how broad a
definition of design we adopt, design is a discipline that participates in
the conception and development of the artificial world, part of this
development includes a concern with not making things uglier.

What I tried to illustrate (using a metaphor) was the trouble with
extracting beauty and treating it as an independent aspect of the whole
design (thank you Eduardo for highlighting the importance of the
relationship between whole and parts in design).

Beauty is no more an added feature to a design as functionality. One most
consider how these features (beauty, functionality, fit for purposeness,
sustainability, usability, and so on) work together in a greater whole.
Therefore, studying design most include an understanding of aesthetics; the
importance of aesthetics for design then varies according to specific
disciplinary concerns.

Also

"Finally, just as an aside, if beauty cannot be studied (your post re
Parthenon, maternal love etc) then what the heck is the discipline of
Aesthetics doing if it is ' is a branch of Philosophy concerned with the
study of the principles behind the nature and appreciation of *beauty*'.
Should it perhaps be closed down as irrelevant and wasting people's time?"

I did not claim beauty cannot be studied, I stated that beauty cannot be
extracted from things like an appendix.

I hope my position is clearer, it's two posts for me, so back to reading.

'best,