Hi, Richard,

I'm seriously arguing that aesthetics is NOT part of design. That is It would be better if research definitions of  design explicitly  excluded aesthetics.

The justification for this is the same as any definition of engineering design as an  activity must indicate that it is independent of (say) engineering analysis.

I'm being epistemologically precise here.

The use of aesthetic skill or mathematical modelling skills of engineering are part of the information gathering that designers use in parallel to the activity of designing.

Neither aesthetics nor engineering analysis are intrinsically ESSENTIAL to the activity of design (you might see them as  personal habits and preferences of art-based or engineering-based designers).

Not only would I suggest that aesthetics is not at the core of design activity, I'd suggest the habits in the Art and Design fields have led to this unhelpful conflation of aesthetics and design.

For the sake of developing a sound basis for design research and design theories, because of the current faulty extensive body of implicit  assumptions  linking aesthetics and design it is almost certainly essential to explicitly completely exclude aesthetics from any general definition of design intended to be used by design researchers.

Best regards,
Terence
==
Dr Terence Love,
School of Design and Built Environment, Curtin University, Western Australia
CEO, Design Out Crime and CPTED Centre
PO Box 226, Quinns Rocks, Western Australia 6030
 +61 (0)4 3497 5848
ORCID 0000-0002-2436-7566
==