Dear Declan and Margaret,

Margaret, thank you for raising this concerning issue. It reiterates the absolute need for us to firmly establish midwifery in the birth landscape here in Ireland.

We are all aware the Institute of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists 2005 document on the Future of Maternity & Gynaecology Services in Ireland 2006 – 2016 (p.34), and the wishes of our obstetric colleagues that:
"Consultant obstetricians and gynaecologists should continue to contribute to the care of all pregnant women"

However, the co-opting of the legislatively protective title of 'midwife' by this obstetrician cannot be permitted to go unchecked. Can you imagine the furore if a midwife called themselves obstetrician? Not that we ever would!

Declan many thanks to yourself and Cecily for raising this issue with our regulatory body NMBI.

Does anyone have the link to the Oireachtas/parliamentary session or the date when this 'declaration' occurred please?

Kind Regards,

Dr Margaret Murphy
DN, MSc, BSc, HDip TLHE, RM, RGN, IBCLC
Lecturer (Midwifery)
BSc Year 4 Coordinator
School of Nursing and Midwifery, University College Cork, Ireland
S [log in to unmask]     00353214901644
   http://research.ucc.ie/profiles/C014/mgtmurphy  @mgtmurphy123

UCC is proud to hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award.
Advancing gender equality: representation, progression and success for all.

Colleagues

Cecily Begley and I wrote to NMBI (Irish regulator) re this in Feb 2018 highlighting misuse and abuse of the 'midwife'

NMBI discussed our letter at a board meeting and responded indicating that they had released the below press release

https://www.nmbi.ie/News/News/Use-of-the-title-Midwife

The key part is the last line, which in effect, means that sections of the act giving rise to use of the term being an offense subject to penalties had not commenced and despite a number of subsequent representations to the DoH this remains the case.

This isn't at all satisfactory (is infuriatingly frustrating) and is something we will continue to push.

Le gach dea-mhéin

Declan

Professor Declan Devane
Professor of Midwifery, NUI Galway
Deputy Dean, College of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences Scientific Director, HRB-Trials Methodology Research Network Director, Evidence Synthesis Ireland Director, Cochrane Ireland