Dear colleagues

Just a gentle reminder about the following event which is part of Birkbeck's Department of Film, Media and Cultural Studies series of annual talks with artists, curators, festival programmers and various screen media practitioners.   The event is held in conjunction with the Media Research Group at the University of Hertfordshire (School of Creative Arts).

This is the Frequency is a group of musicians, filmmakers and artists from all over the world, who first came together in 2014 in Los Angeles, to explore new art forms, in an ongoing experiment examining the nature of creativity.

Leader of the Lost (90min) – is a groundbreaking audio movie that re-imagines the rules of sound and narrative. Hundreds of hours of improvisation have been condensed into a feature length audio movie, creating a multi layered, intense sensory experience with a transformative use of audio where stereotypes in the usage of sound and voice are broken and reassessed. This narrative story project uses binaural and subliminal beats and is mixed in 360 degree surround sound to totally immerse the listener; designed for galleries and movie theaters.

Leader of the Lost tells the story of Bryan Ellis, a singer songwriter struggling to write a commercial single for his album for Sony records. With only one day of recording left, unbearable pressure is piling up on him to create a hit song. Using comedy, drama and music, we journey deep into the world and the mind of Bryan as he experiences the worst day of his life, an insane 24 hours that involves drugs, incarceration, heartbreak, emergency therapy, two car crashes, a trip to the afterlife, and lots of music.

Leader of the Lost is about the search for meaning in our lives, and what that means for a contemporary, young audience. It mixes the ordinary with the surreal, and creates beautiful, rich sound collages of Californian life.

The project is directed and produced by Simon Moore and Val Kuklowsky.

Simon Moore (The Quick and The Dead, Traffik, The 10th Kingdom) is an Emmy, Bafta and Humanitas award winning artist who believes that “Form is as important as content, and the way we receive and react to Art is more important than the Art itself. The Film With No Pictures is an attempt to completely deconstruct everything I know and believe in, and see what’s left...”

Val Kuklowsky (Independence Day, Game of Thrones, A Knight’s Tale...) Academy Award winner for Best Sound U571) has a lifelong passion for pushing language and sound into the realm of the subconscious, reaching beyond the trends and fashions of pop culture to uncover the timeless forms underneath. “I’m not interested in sound per se - I am interested in the sound of the universe turning, and the deepest elements of the human condition...”

The audio movie employs the talents of over forty performers, musicians and technicians from America, Iran, Germany, France, England, Mexico and India, creating a truly international sensibility.

Discussions after the screening will give the audience an insight into the workflow and thought behind the construction of the film. Even more importantly, the film makers invite the audience to participate in discussions about dramatology, presentational breakthroughs, or anything that spurs thoughtful and potential insights into the future of film medium.

The event is free but please book tickets here: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/leader-of-the-lost-the-journey-of-a-thousand-miles-begins-with-one-hit-single-tickets-61644907578

With best wishes

Kim Akass

Leader of the Media Research Group, Senior Lecturer in Film and TV
School of Creative Arts, University of Hertfordshire
College Lane
Hatfield
Herts, AL10 9AB
switchboard: 01707 284000 X5329 direct line: 01707 285329

Kim Akass

Leader of the Media Research Group, Senior Lecturer in Film and TV
School of Creative Arts, University of Hertfordshire
College Lane
Hatfield
Herts, AL10 9AB
switchboard: 01707 284000 X5329 direct line: 01707 285329

Please note, I am on partial research leave and, although  I will be responding to emails, it may take longer than usual.