From: ZONTA, Chiara <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 01 May 2019 14:32
To: Sarah George
Cc: PAGE, Matthew
Subject: FW: Feedback on Jisc Geospatial data service

Hello Sarah,

Thank you for your insights, they are really valuable.

I would like to discuss the points you raised in order to understand better how to address them.

1.       Search tool

At the moment, it gives priority to the content of the first lines of the address. For instance, if you search our office and type “Compass House, 60 Priestley Road, Guildford GU2 7AG, United Kingdom”, the Search tool picks only “Compass House, 60 Priestley Road” to narrow down the results. This works well for specific addresses, but not for general ones, as you pointed out when referring to “Halifax”, and not for natural archaeological or historical landmarks, like “Stonehenge”.

We definitely need to work on it, and would appreciate any suggestion on how to improve the tool.

What kind of results would you like to retrieve in those cases?

Would you keep the addresses containing the word “Halifax” or “Stonehenge”?

Would you give priority to the city name, or other attributes?

Would you like a more complex filter system when searching a location?

How would you structure it?

2.       Points located in blank space

This is a projection bug. What happens is that the point is placed far on top of the world map (you can see it when zooming out quite a lot). We are aware of the issue and investigating on how to fix it.

3.       Legends

I think that you raised different topics in regards to the legends system:

First of all, the legends (for BGS data especially) can be very long and complex in terms of simbology (the sheer amount of colours) and terminology (the “BGS code”). On the portal we are displaying the legends in accord to the technical guidelines provided by the supplier. However, we can and should discuss whether it would be best to use different class name in the legends, choosing it from the database (the records you can see when interrogating the feature with “i”).

How would you like a legend to be? What should it display?

Would you prefer to pick more descriptive class name?

Would you like if there was the chance to sort the column on the side of the colours, in accord to the different kind of use?

Secondly, there is no option to filter the different classes in a dataset within the Geospatial data service, which can make maps difficult to interrogate thoroughly. It is intended as a tool for visualisation and download of data and designed to be used in conjunction with more analytical software (especially GIS systems). However, there is room for discussion and implementation.

What would you expect when interrogating the map with the GetFeatureInfo tool (i)?

Would you like the legend to be interactive in some way? How?

Finally, we are still working on making the legends available for all the layers, on the web service and in the downloaded orders. In the meantime, we have fixed the GetFeatureInfo tool (i).

I look forward your feedback and remain at your disposal for further enquires,

Kind regards,

Chiara

Chiara Zonta
Services Support Consultant

Intelligence

Communications, Intelligence & Security

Airbus Defence and Space

A  |Compass House, 60 Priestley Road, Guildford GU2 7AG, United Kingdom

T  |+44 (0)1483 447006 (internal dial 7006)

M |+44(0)7799 425347

E  [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>