From: Scholarly discussions in any field of Italian studies [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Joseph Farrell [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 01 May 2019 12:01
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [I-S] Dario Fo biography

Can I, however, immodestly draw attention to my recently published updated and revised biography of Dario Fo and Franca Rame? I am sure you will agree that this is an indispensable addition to any self-respecting, serious-minded, personal or academic library.

To clarify: The first version of this biography - Dario Fo and Franca Rame: Harlequins of the Revolution (London, Methuen, 2001) ends approximately with the award of the Nobel Prize. An Italian translation was published as Dario e Franca: la biografia della coppia Fo/Rame attraverso la storia italiana (Milan, Ledizioni, 2014), and I took advantage of the publication of that edition to revise the original work and to update it with some new chapters which took the story up to the death of Franca Rame in May 2013. The present work includes a translation of these chapters plus others to take the story up to the death of Dario.

It has occurred to me in writing the biography of Italian actor-author, Dario Fo (1926 – 2016) and his wife and fellow performer-writer, Franca Rame (1929 – 2013) that the main task was to reshape their, especially his, image so as to convey something of the sheer range of his creative abilities beyond his already well established reputation in theatre.  Although routinely hailed as the most frequently performed contemporary dramatist anywhere, in theatre he was actor, theatre director, stage designer as well as playwright. However, he was also a political activist, pamphleteer, artist and author who produced the first of his six novels at the age of 88. This book attempts to do justice to all his activities.

Joe Farrell

[X]

to: [log in to unmask]
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/italian-studies