Hazel,

I totally agree with your insights regarding the cultural differences in students expectation of marks. Students who have come up through a different educational system where A’s are common, do struggle with what they see as downgraded marks.

I have worked with TNE partners over a number of years as well as being an external with overseas partners and have experienced this first hand. It s hard to explain that the expectations are different, but that we have to be fair to all students whether overseas or at the home university, there has to be equity if both sets of students are being assessed on the same criteria.

I see it particularly now as I am working for an oversees partner in the Middle East and I, and my colleagues, do sometimes struggle to explain to students here that heir work just does not meet their anticipated grade.  My only solution when meeting with these students is to sit down with them, explain the marking criteria, and that regardless of how much effort they believe they’ve put into a piece of work, if it does meet the criteria, it doesn’t get the mark.

Lorna Hunter
Interim Programme Lead
AFG College with the University of Aberdeen.