Hello Mike

During the Skills for Life Strategy in the early 2000’s, LLU+ London South Bank University (now Learning Unlimited) developed a two day front-line workers training course focusing on language, literacy and numeracy awareness. We delivered the course many times, including to NHS staff, and always received very positive feedback (often along the lines of ‘we need more of this sort of training!) As you correctly point out, most people are simply unaware of the effect of their language on those they are trying to communicate with.

Over the past few years Learning Unlimited has run volunteer and befriender training as part of various projects. Some of the materials would be suitable for front-line worker training - see http://www.learningunlimited.co/files/Befriender_Training_Toolkit.pdf

Best wishes

Judy

Sent from my iPad