My name is Zoie McNeill, and Dr. Rebecca Scott and I are organizing an anthology on queering the environment/environmentalism in Appalachia. This project is an extension of another book project I’m working on with WVU Press on queer Appalachia(ns). We wish to include diverse perspectives including critiques of econormativity, queer of color critiques, and indigenous or critical settler perspectives on queering environmentalism/ the environment. Dr. Scott and I are looking for chapter abstracts focused on the following themes within the Appalachian case/context:

Queer ecologies and queering ecofeminism

Queer activisms and LGBTQIA+ led environmental liberation movements

Queering politics of place, regionalism, and critical geography

Queer liberation as sustainable futures

Reclaiming farming/methods of existence (food justice and food sovereignty)

Queering settler econormativity, Indigenous or critical settler perspectives

Intersectionality in queer ecologies

Queer of color critiques of environmental issues/environmentalism

Intersectionality and environmental coalition building in Appalachia

Academics from all disciplines are welcome to submit. Please send an abstract under 250 words and a bio/CV if interested. The deadline for submissions is May 31th. Feel free to share with individuals, or other parties, that you think would be interested.

The tentative timeline for this project is as following:

1.       Submissions accepted by July

2.       Book proposal sent to publishers by September

3.       First chapter draft due May 2020

4.       Final drafts being due about nine months later.