Dear Jon,

when you place an atom at the screen pointer, there is no symmetry that Coot
would be able to use. You need to tell Coot. One way is to merge it with an
existing molecule that has a valid symmetry description. Another way is to
create a separate PDB file with the symmetry of your choice and reload it. For
all subsequent water molecules, you can follow Eugene's suggestion and merge
new water molecules into your 'water-PDB'.

Best,
Tim

On Tuesday, April 30, 2019 10:21:31 PM CEST Jonathan Cooper wrote:
> One thing I have wondered about Coot is when you add new waters into the
> structure and these go into a molecule called 'Pointer Atoms...', I have
> never worked out how to get the symmetry mates of these newly inserted
> waters to appear unless I eventually merge them into the same pdb file as
> the protein. As an example, here is a newly inserted water molecule (A6) in
> Pointer-Atoms close to a 2-fold: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~rmhajc0/watersym.jpg
> Is there a trick to get its symmetry mate to appear without merging the
> pdb's? I am trying to avoid the situation where you accidentally build two
> or more waters into the same density because the symmetry mates are not
> showing and have to go through all the waters again afterwards to sort it
> out. I have checked the 'Show Symmetry' box for that molecule and I have
> tried changing the radius, etc. Any clues much appreciated.
> Jon.C.

Tim Gruene
Head of the Centre for X-ray Structure Analysis
Faculty of Chemistry
University of Vienna

Phone: +43-1-4277-70202

GPG Key ID = A46BEE1A