Dear Marco and Laszlo,

I feel obliged to add some additional considerations. Of course the term “arthritis” denominates acute inflammatory processes of the joint, but these comprise also diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, quite common in dogs and characterized by severe, mostly symmetric deformations of the afflicted joints and definitely discernible in the bare bone. And there are more acute syndroms that cause deformation or even destruction of skeletal/joint elements, like tuberculosis.

Additionally, not every osteogenetic reaction that causes new bone tissue formations must designate a permanent inflammation in terms of an “arthrosis”. According to Pauwels’ concept of functional adaptation the healthy  bone tissue reacts on tensile forces with incremental growth, on loading pressures with involution. So, the theme is even a bit more complex, I suppose.

Best,

Gerhard

Prof. Gerhard Forstenpointner

Unit on Archaeozoology and Comparative Morphology

Institute of Anatomy

University of Veterinary Medicine Vienna

Veterinaerplatz 1

A-1210 Vienna, AUSTRIA

Ph: +43 1 25077 2503

                              6332