From: GUY STOGDON <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 01 April 2019 20:58
To: Michael Cassidy <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: VMSG fieldtrip - ARRAN

Guy Stogdon

On 27 Mar 2019, at 15:40, Michael Cassidy <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
Dear VMSG,

We are excited to advertise this year’s VMSG fieldtrip, which will be in Arran, Scotland.

It will be led by Geopark ranger Dr Bob Gooday and Dr Malcolm Hole of the University of Aberdeen.

On this trip we will be studying some of the many volcanic and intrusive rocks that formed on Arran around 60 million years ago. Arran hosts some very well preserved and beautifully exposed remnants of the North Atlantic Igneous Province, many of which have been studied by geologists for over 200 years. We will discuss bimodal magmatic systems and magma mingling at the spectacular Drumadoon Sill and associated dykes, and look at the petrology and intrusion morphology of the dolerite and pitchstone Lamlash Bay intrusions. Further inland, we will examine the caldera-filling ignimbrites and collapse breccias of the Central Arran Igneous Complex on Ard Bheinn. Despite the huge numbers of geologists that visit the island every year, fundamental questions remain about the magmatic processes that formed Arran’s igneous rocks.

Dates:
Tuesday 29th July – 2nd August
3 full days in the field, this allows time for you to arrive in Arran on Monday and leave on Friday morning.

Costs:
£280 for students
£320 for non-students
This includes accommodation, travel to sites, breakfast, dinner and a packed lunch (Dinner will also be provided on Monday, and breakfast on the Friday).

Travel:
Once you arrive in Arran, travel to the field localities will be included. Info about getting to Arran can be found here: http://www.visitarran.com/getting-to-arran

We can pick up some groups arriving in Arran’s Brodick harbour on Monday evening, and provide lifts back to get the ferry on Friday morning.

Accommodation:
Lochranza field centre (all included in the price)

Reservation:
To reserve a place on the trip, please email [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Deadlines:
Registration opens 29th March. Details of how to pay will be given then and payment due by April 30th. Places will be filled on a first come first served basis (12 places open initially, confirmation will be given when your payment has been received).

Many thanks!

George Cooper and Mike Cassidy