The Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry of the University Psychiatric Clinics of Basel has received funding from the Swiss National Foundation for a 3 years research project:

Investigating the specificity of neuronal correlates for emotion processing deficits in conduct disorder (CD) and autism spectrum disorders (ASD)

Thus, we offer the following position:

PhD student 100% (start 1.8.2019)

Within this SNF project we will implement behavioral assessments as well as functional and structural magnetic resonance imaging (f/MRI) techniques in combination with eye-tracking in order to study the neural correlates of emotion processing in youths with CD and ASD. This project application is an extension to a successfully implemented existing project in our lab where we already investigated individuals with a diagnosis of CD and typically developing youths using neuroimaging in combination with eye-tracking measurements and clinical interviews. By testing an additional sample of adolescents with CD and individuals with ASD, and using cross-disorder comparisons, we aim to extend knowledge regarding the specificity of neurobiological results. In contrast to previous studies we will be able to additionally investigate the impact of attention to emotional cues by using eye-tracking techniques during scanning.

Your responsibilities

The PhD student is expected to have

·         knowledge in neuroimaging data analyses, as well as willingness to learn new techniques including eye gaze during scanning assessment and evaluation

·         knowledge in conduct disorder and autism are of advantage

·         ideally you are also comfortable with programming

We additionally provide access to a huge data base of previous national (SNF) and international research projects (see https://www.femnat-cd.eu) enabling to investigate further neurobiological research topics and to publish in highly ranking international journals.

We offer

·         an interesting, dynamic and productive working environment.

·         support in your academic career through additional career programs offered by the University of Basel

·         the opportunity for travel support for international conferences, seminars and workshops

We prefer an online application via www.upk.ch/ueber-uns/arbeiten-in-den-upk/offene-stellen

For further information:

Christina Stadler, Professor of Developmental Psychopathology

UPK Clinic for Children and Adolescents

Schanzenstrasse 13

CH-4056 Basel

We are looking forward to your application

Prof. Christina Stadler, PhD

Klinische Professorin für Entwicklungspsychopathologie

Leitung der Diagnostisch-Therapeutischen Tagesklinik (DTK)

Kinder- und Jugendpsychiatrische Klinik

Universitäre Psychiatrische Kliniken (UPK)

Schanzenstrasse 13

CH-4056 Basel

Tel. Direkt:  +41 (0)61 265 89 70

Fax:            +41 (0)61 265 89 61