Alternatively, maybe the initial affine registration isn't working so
well.  Try using "Check Reg" to see how well aligned your T1w image is to
the MNI-space data released with SPM12.  If the initial alignment isn't so
good (more than about 4cm and 15 degrees) then there's a greater chance of
a failure.  I'm not sure which segmentation you are using.  If you are
using SPM8 or older, then maybe update to SPM12. If you are using CAT, then
Christian might have other suggestions.

Best regards,
-John

--