Dear Maria,

I'm surprised that EEGLAB, via FieldTrip, is still relying on SPM8.
You indeed need to recompile the MEX files, instructions for macOS are
available here:

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/SPM/Installation_on_64bit_Mac_OS_(Intel)#Compilation_2
If, by chance, EEGLAB was only using spm_bwlabel.mexmaci64 then you
could copy over that file from SPM12:
  https://github.com/spm/spm12/blob/master/spm_bwlabel.mexmaci64
as that version should be more compatible across platforms.

Best regards,
Guillaume.

--
Guillaume Flandin, PhD