Am 17.04.2019 um 17:06 schrieb Tesfatsion, Leigh S [ECONS]:
> Gerd --
>
> Your email below raises a challenging and important issue.
>
> In the following paper I give a precise set of seven modeling principles as defining principles for "Agent-based Computational Economics" (ACE), a variant of agent-based modeling.  My goal in developing these seven modeling principles is to capture "essential" properties of real-world systems, and only such properties.  That is, I am trying to devise modeling principles that do not **require** modelers to make assumptions that are not essential for the description of real-world systems.

This is certainly a good approach that helps to see the conceptual
implications (such as interactivity and decision-making) and options
(such as beliefs being distinguished from facts) of agency.

Generally, as pointed out by Axtell & Epstein (in the paper recommended
by Pietro Terna in this thread), we use OOP for implementing agents in
the form of objects with special properties and methods.

However, the diverse ABM comunities did not make much progress in
establishing generic higher-level ABM concepts and relate them to each
other and to standard OO modeling concepts for creating a form of unity
of the field that allows to learn from each other.

Instead, the field is methodologically very much fragmented and people
in different (sub)comunities tend to reinvent the wheel in their work.

-Gerd

--

Dr. Gerd Wagner
(1) Professor, Brandenburg University of Technology, Germany

--
(1) Chair of Internet Technology
Brandenburg University of Technology